SWFV is committed to involving children, parents and communities in the design, delivery and quality of our services.
In January 2018, South West Family Values set up Parent Club (which includes the Parent Participation Service and Parent Participation Panel, all open to all parents who use our service) which enables parents to be involved and consulted in the planning, design and evaluation of SWFV services in a safe and inclusive environment. Mark Kime and I were delighted to be asked to be involved in Parent Club and run the Parent Participation Service.
Our first meeting of the parent club was in January 2018 at the ROC centre in Chelston. We looked at four key areas which we had identified from our Social Impact Plan: Health, Safety, Happiness and Feeling Cared For, and we have had a number of equally positive meetings since then.
We have been a busy group since we first met! As well as Parent Club members being offered free evidence-based parenting programmes, we have:
- Contributed our user views to the 0-19 Children’s Services re-commissioning process
- Contributed service user feedback to the School Nurse and Health Visitor newly launched website.
- Bid for funds from the Torbay Social fund to support the group with regular meetings and family days out
- Identified parent volunteers to support other parent club members
- Identified training opportunities for the parent club members to be delivered in autumn 2018
We always welcome new members, so if you feel you would like to be involved and have your say in how services are planned and delivered locally to support you and your family – then come along!